Brexit was the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union at 23:00 GMT on 31 January 2020.
The UK is the only sovereign country to have left the EU or the EC. The UK had been a member state of the EU or its predecessor the European Communities, sometimes of both at the same time, since 1 January 1973.
Following a UK-wide referendum on 23 June 2016, in which 51.89 per cent voted in favour of leaving the EU and 48.11 per cent voted to remain a member.
Recently polling shows largest EVER lead for ‘Wrong to Leave’ – as you can see below: